FAQ's - Frequently Adventured Questions
- What do I need for the rally?
- Do I need a visa?
- What kind of vehicle are we allowed to drive?
- Where can I get a suitable vehicle from?
- What will happen to our beloved rally vehicle after we cross the Finish Line?
- Where and how can I stay overnight?
- Recommendation for the ferry crossings
- Charity and donations
- How do I get the donations?
- movember.com - Collect donations online
- Press work
- Your rally vehicle branding
- How does SAC Live Tracking work?
- What happens if we have a break-down on the way?
- The Starting Line Event in Brussels
- Party time on the Island
- Is there an age limit for participation?
- Where can I exchange information with other teams online?
- Can I use SAC logos and Images for my Website, Blog or for my Charity Project?
- How do I register for my rally adventure?
- Which additional costs can we expect?
- Can I change my team name?
- Can I book a binding starting place and add the team later?
- What happens if I cannot participate in the rally?
1. What do I need for the rally?
A thirst for adventure, a suitable vehicle at least 20 years old and 10 days time!
2. Do I need a visa?
EU citizens do not (yet) need any visas for this rally. We request that rally participants who do not possess EU citizenship make themselves aware of entry requirements for every relevant country.
3. What kind of vehicle are we allowed to drive?
Modern classics and classic classics
Old-school cars: At least 20 years old (incl. 2000 makes)
Old-school bikes: At least 20 years old (incl. 2000 makes); a motorcycle team may consist of no more than two motorcycles
Old-school trucks: At least 20 years old (incl. 2000 makes); campers/RVs/mobile homes are not allowed. Buses and vans such as the T3, T4, GMC Vandura and the Ford Transit are not classified as mobile homes.
Again, vehicles built explicitly as mobile homes/campers/RVs (e.g. with alcoves) are not allowed.
You don’t have to have nailed down your vehicle to register for the rally. You’ve got until the Rally Start to find your dream machine.
Of course, your vehicle needs to be road approved and MOT certified to ensure you can enjoy the rally to the fullest. Any kind of vehicle is welcome; bikes, vans or cars. BMW, Trabi or VW Beetle let your style decide. More
4. Where can I get a suitable vehicle from?
Look on the Internet or in the advertising section of your daily newspaper. On the relevant used car portals, you will find a wide selection of suitable and inexpensive vehicles. Or ask your grandmother if she lends you her old Mercedes for a spin. The vehicle does not have to be fixed at the time of registration. Until the start of the rally, you have time to find your perfect rally vehicle.
5. What will happen to our beloved rally vehicle after we cross the Finish Line?
That’s up to you! How about just happily driving it home, you full of adventure and the car full of luggage, and rolling up in it again next year for the next rally?!
6. Where and how can I stay overnight?
The accommodations are chosen and organized by the teams themselves. From "Wild" camping in the Highlands, Bed & Breakfast with a family connection to Palace & Champagne everything is allowed! Depending on your adventurous spirit and budget, you are free to decide what you like best on each stage. The spontaneous search for a suitable overnight accommodation on the respective stage has proven itself in the past and is usually no problem during the rally period.
At the official SAC party stops all teams pitch their tents together. Of course, you can also spend the night there in your own rally bus or truck.
There are also always tasks in the road book that are aimed directly at sleeping in the tent. So pack your tent and sleeping bag, because "Wild" camping is a real adventure only in the tent...
7. Recommendation for the ferry crossings
From Calais or Dunkirk to Dover
After the start in Brussels, you can take the ferry from Calais or Dunkirk towards Dover. This journey takes about an hour and gives you enough time to take a first glimpse in the Roadbook.
Back from the Island
Ferry Newcastle - Amsterdam
For all teams who want to return to mainland Europe relaxed and comfortable the day after the finish, we recommend the crossing from Newcastle (90 km south of the Scottish border) to Amsterdam. DFDS offers a daily late afternoon crossing. We recommend booking this ferry connection in time!
8. Charity and Donations
Collect €500 for great charity projects from our charity partner Movember.
The money goes to projects that Movember has carefully vetted to ensure that all contributions go where they should—to the people who truly need them.
Charity donations can be collected any time from the date you sign up to the moment you cross the Finish Line. More
9. How do I get the donations?
Come up with something! Tell your friends, family, business partners, colleagues about your commitment to men's health. Collect online via Social Media. Organize a flea market. Make a tombola. Get into the local press or organize a charity party. There are countless ways. Collecting donations is an adventure in itself. More
10. movember.com - Collect donations online
Create your personal fundraising campaign on movember.com. Movember gives you the possibility to present your donation collection in a transparent and easy way and to handle it online. All donations collected, directly benefit the movember men's health projects. You can find detailed instructions on how to collect donations with movember.com here on our website
11. Press work
In order to get even more support for your project and your fundraising, you are welcome to contact the press. Tell the local newspaper, radio or TV about your charity rally. So you might get even more donations and find additional sponsors.
Ask the workshop of your confidence if your rally car will be ready for you. Ask at the shop on the corner whether he will provide you with the right equipment. Or get a rally haircut from your favorite hairdresser. In return, your sponsors can immortalize themselves on the rally car or you can include them on your website or in your press work. Here, too, there are countless possibilities.
13. Your rally vehicle branding
You have found the right vehicle, you have your sponsors and now you want to visually pimp the car/van/motorbike. We give your creativity absolute freedom. There is only one thing to consider: a sticker with the official rally logo will appear on the driver and passenger doors as well as on the bonnet. Furthermore, two stickers with your starting number must be placed clearly visible on the vehicle.
Dimensions of the stickers:
Official rally logos: circular, approx. 45 cm diameter
Starting numbers: circular, approx. 45 cm diameter
14. How does SAC Live Tracking work?
The SAC Live Tracking App - SAC Track - is available for free download for all rally teams in the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store - for Android and iOS. SAC Live Tracking is as simple as it is intuitive. Simply switch on tracking and be tracked. Furthermore, you have the possibility to attach your most beautiful pictures to the track. All teams receive the log-in data one week before the start.
Offline and still be tracked. Is that possible?
Yes, that works without any problems! Your phone records your route even without an internet connection if a GPS signal is available. As soon as you are online the next time, the SAC Track will automatically move your route to the server and your route will be up-to-date again.
Your personal rally route After the rally, you can download the tracked route so that you can show it to your grandchildren.
15. What happens if we have a break-down on the way?
You’ve got to repair your vehicle!
But don’t worry - even if you have no clue about technical workings, you’ll get your ride up and running again. This is how we know:
1. It’s part of the rally code of honor that teams help each other whenever necessary. There’s nearly always a fellow rally participant in close proximity who has enough technical know-how and the right tools to help you out.
2. If you’re really stranded way out in the sticks, don’t hesitate to ask for help from local people. Even if you don’t speak the language, you’ll encounter people more than willing to help out. Sometimes just a friendly smile and a couple of shared vodkas will do - before you know it, your motor will be running again….
3. If all else fails, your saving grace will be having registered for some kind of abroad insurance protection at one of the big auto associations.
16. The Starting Line Event in Brussels
On 9 May 2020 the rally starts directly in the heart of Brussels. The event starts at 10:00 am and the official start will take place between 11:00 am and 12:00 pm. We will let you know the exact address on 11 April 2020.
17. Party time on the Island
All information about Meet & Greet Points and the official S.A.C Rally Parties on the Road can be found in the Roadbook. The roadbook will be handed out to you at the start.
18. Is there an age limit for participation?
Everything is open to the top! However, you must be at least 18 years old to be allowed to participate. Further, we point out that you should be in good physical condition. The participation in this adventure rally is not a coffee ride with an electric blanket.
Road conditions during the rally can vary greatly from Country roads lined with hedges and stone walls to Panorama drives on the steep coasts and some Gravel roads in the Highlands that seem to lead into nowhere. Everything is possible & something for every taste!
Always remember to drive on the left side!
20. Where can I exchange information with other teams online?
Each rally has its own Facebook group. There you can exchange ideas with other teams before, During and after the rally.
The following topics are gladly discussed there:
- Personal team introduction and presentation of your own charity project
- Tips & tricks for the right equipment
- Progress in pimping the rally car
- Purchase and sale of reinforced rally vehicles
- Search for other team members or a team to ride with
To the official Knights of the Island Group.
21. Can I use SAC logos and Images for my Website, Blog or for my Charity Project?
Yes, you are welcome to do so. You can find a selection of pictures and the Rally logos under the section Media.
If you don't find what you are looking for, you can download the logos directly from the website (right mouse button, save image as).
Please always refer to us for pictures and logos, especially if they are passed on to the press, for example.
Photo Credits: Superlative Adventure Club
22. How do I register for my rally adventure?
You can easily register for your rally adventure in three quick steps.
- Log in under my SAC
- Afterwards, you can create a team under point 2 "My Teams"
- If you have successfully registered your team, you can book the rally with your team
You can change and edit your team name, the number of team members, as well as the facts about your vehicle and pictures even after registration.
23. Which additional costs can we expect?
In addition to the entry fee, there are additional costs for food, accommodation, petrol, possible ferry crossings or tolls.
The amount depends on you and your budget and the thirst of your car. To give you an idea of your individual travel costs, here is a rough overview of the travel costs per day for a team of 2 people:
approx. 1,50€ per liter
1,50€ × 8 liters per 100 km × 400 km per day =48 €
Overnight stay in the open air, in a tent, vehicle or with new friends: 0€.
From campsite to luxury hostel: 15€ to 150+€
Hunters, Collectors, Fishermen: 0€
Self-catering from the supermarket: 30€
Gourmets and restaurant testers: 60+€
Depending on the route chosen, additional costs for road and bridge tolls, ferry crossings or speeding tickets from 100€ - 250+€ may be incurred on the entire route.
24. Can I change my team name?
Yes, you can still change and edit your team name, the number of team members, as well as the facts about your vehicle and pictures after registration.
Simply log in with your team account and go to point 2 "My Teams". Under your team page, you will also find your team members and can edit, delete or add their profiles.
25. Can I book a binding starting place and add the team later?
In order to make a booking, you must first create a team. You can change the team data, the number of members and the name at any time.
26. What happens if I cannot participate in the rally?
The starting fee has to be paid within 2 days so that the starting place is officially booked.
If you cancel within the first 4 weeks after booking, we will refund 100% of the starting fee. If the registration is still open, we will also refund 100% of the starting fee.
If the registration is closed, we try to give the starting place to a successor team, if this does not work, we offer to postpone the starting place to the coming year or another rally of your choice. A reactivation fee of 250 € is Due for this.
Alternatively, you can assign the starting place yourself to friends, relatives or acquaintances and change the data in the team log-in. If you decide to do so, please send us an e-mail via the contact form.
3 months before the start a refund and a partial refund is no longer possible.